We Call It Homeschooling

Monday, August 21, 2006

Doing Better

We had school today. I'm still just easing into it. Most kids don't even start back until after Labor Day and that's probably what I should have done, but here in Indiana we have to have 180 days just like public schools so... to keep up, we started early. Oh well, there are a few field trips we are taking in the next couple months that are on Saturdays so we can slack off a little here and there I guess.

I've been busy checking out curriculums again today and all I have to say is WHY is everything so expensive? I'm a single mom with little money, I can't afford these $500 curriculums... plus I have two kids! I'm continuing my search and hopefully I can find something more in our price range.

Anyway, the library is our friend and everything there is free, so until we go through all their resources and the things we already have, I'm not going to stress out over a packaged curriculum.

Today my youngest and I took a trip to our library and found some books for him, a movie for Tyler about the White House (since we're studying the Presidents) and a Math video. I also had some stuff from the fair (learning material), so today we learned about watersheds. They had a lot of information about them at one of the booths so I grabbed a handful of info and some worksheets to go along with it. It was very interesting. I didn't really realize how important all of our natural resources are. I also didn't realize all the simple things that we can do to help out. One of my daycare moms works for the DNR so I'm going to ask her if she can bring me some more information on that and other topics.

We also have "cooking" to do today... we're making homemade dog biscuits for the dogs. Tyler found the recipe online.

That's the good thing about homeschooling, just about anything that "teaches" your child is considered learning.